In mid 1955 a small groups of powerboat enthusiasts had been gathering at a small stretch of water now known as Lake Wyangan South (also referred to as the small lake or original lake). A suggestion to form a Club was made by Vern Evans who was a very keen participant in the social activities of the group.
On the 13th December 1955 an official meeting was convened at the Wade Shire Council Chambers in Banna Avenue (now Griffith City Library building).
The meeting was chaired by Vern Evans and in attendance were Stan McDonald, Les McDonald, Harry Rossetto, Bob Savage, Barry Black and Jack Edwards. The first Griffith Boat Club officials were elected at this meeting.
Work commenced immediately on the Clubhouse. This took the form of a building moved to the site by Vern Evans at his own expense. Working bees were held to remove reeds and kabungi from the edge of the lake to provide boat access to the water. Snags in the form of fallen trees and stumps were cleared from the lake by volunteers using steel cables and tractors. A large gum tree near the edge, on the Clubhouse side, was left standing, levelled off and a platform erected on the stumps. A viewing room, with steps attached, was added and this became the control tower.
The membership nomination fee to join the Club was 1-1-0 pound and the annual fee for members was 2-2-0 pound.
Members and volunteers worked tirelessly at weekend working bees to complete facilities in readiness for the Inaugural Regatta, which features speed boat racing and water skiing events.
The Club continued to grow and prosper with many new followers of both the powerboat activities and water skiing sports. Subsequent Regattas drew competitors from Clubs including two Sydney suburbs of Silverwater and Port Hacking, Goulburn, Wagga, Albury, Lake Cargelligo, Shepparton, Canberra, Gunning, Yass, Deniliquin, Nowra and Echuca to name a few. Large crowds always attended these functions and applauded the spectacular aspects of events.